Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Seaquest Nerd

So lately I have been watching "Seaquest DSV" through Netflix on DVD. Why you ask? Well, that's a good question. I must confess that I used to be obsessed with that show in high school. I loved it and watched it religiously. Now this was in large part due to the fact that I was in love with Jonathan Brandis. I'm super cool I know. ;) Now years later re-watching the episodes, I have to admit they are pretty cheesy. Phil makes fun of me and the show every time I watch it. And he is right, it is very unrealistic and cheesy. But oddly, still addictive. I still enjoy watching it and can't wait till the next DVDs come. I think it is partly a nostalgia thing, watching them reminds me of being in high school and my huge crush on Mr. Brandis and how I used to fantasize about being on the boat with him. Yeah I know, I was lame, but I was young, okay? And partly I still genuinely enjoy the stories. Yeah, it is silly and far fetched, but fun and exciting and I guess I am still a bonafide Seaquest nerd. It also makes me kind of sad to watch them. Mainly because of the tragic death of Jonathan Brandis. As most of you probably know, he killed himself a few years ago. http://www.eonline.com/news/article/index.jsp?uuid=5fcb8f5a-ae67-4cec-a835-d01acbd275fd

It is really sad and kind of eerie to watch him on Seaquest now. There are all these episodes where he is in danger or where they think he might die and he talks about how he does not want to die. And then there is even a few episodes where they talk about suicide and he is right there. It's a little eerie. And I can't help, but feel kind of sad about it. It is just such a tragic loss. He was so young and had so much talent. I am not saying he was the best actor in the world or anything. But he was a talented actor and he even wrote one of the episodes of Seaquest. Anyways, that is all. After all these years, it still gets to me a little. That's all.

2 comments:

Deals On Wheels said...

Really? Why don't I recall anything SEAQUEST from high school? I remember GH (of course), but nothing else (except XF, but that was really just me).

Mommy's World said...

Well you see, it is because I watched Seaquest when I was going to Flint Hill which was my freshman and sophomore year of high school. Pre OS. It was on for two and half seasons so it was actually on for the first of junior year, but I don't think I made the effort to try to watch it at OS. Poor poor Jonathan Brandis. I used to watch OLTL and GH, but when I was home this year I really only watched OLTL. And of course I remember X-Files. I mainly just remember when the power went out during a scary episode and everybody screamed!!! Ah memories....