Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Ear Tubes

As you all know, we have been having a tough couple of months with CJ and his ear infections. He has been miserable off and on for the past few weeks now. Anyways, I just wanted to let you know that I talked to the ENT this morning to see if there is any way that we could move him up on the list to have the ear tubes done because the oral medications don't seem to be working. Well, the nurse called me back and I have great news!!! They were able to get him into the Owings Mills surgicenter on Tuesday the 26th at 6:30 am. He will continue on the steroids and oral antibiotics until then and then he will have the surgery on Tuesday. She said that he has to be there an hour before the procedure and then the actual procedure only takes about 15 minutes and then he will have to lie down for about another hour and then he can go home. I asked how long the recovery time was and she said oh he will be fine by that afternoon. I told her we had plans to travel that Thursday and she was like oh yeah he will be fine by then. He can go back to daycare on Wednesday. So I feel a lot better now. Apparently, at Carroll Hospital Center they are booking out until April so I was definitely not up for waiting until then after everything he has been through. There is always a small chance that the ear tubes will not help, but after talking to all the doctors and friends who have been through similar experiences it sounds like the ear tubes are the best option and that they should help pretty much immediately. They should hopefully take care of the problem. I of course will be a little nervous about the surgery, but I am so relieved too. I am so ready for the little man to feel better. As my wise friend Dealey said, CJ deserves to feel better!! Anyways, thank you all for all of your support and for caring so much about the sweet little guy!!! We will keep you posted on how everything goes and talk to you soon!! :)

1 comment:

Merideth said...

Hey girl. I know you are SO nervous about the surgery and poor little CJ. I just wanted to let you know that I had tubes put in my ears when I was little, and I always made it through just fine. And now I don't get ear infections anymore. Some kids like me and CJ I guess just don't get the luck of the draw. Anyway, I will be thinking of you on the 26th and definately send my love and hugs to you all. And yes you are definately very lucky to have Phil. ♥